Marinate Like a Pro
Marinating sounds scary to some but it's actually dead easy and makes all the difference to roasts, grilled meats and fish as well as seafood.
You can create the ultimate marinade with just a couple of teaspoons of Sprinkle's spice blends and quality olive oil. This is the formula for approximately 450g of meat, poultry or fish:
- In a glass bowl, mix 2-4 teaspoons of your favourite spice blend with 1/2 a cup of olive oil to form a runny paste. Add more olive oil if it's too thick.
- For best results add in some roughly chopped fresh herbs (like thyme, rosemary or oregano), a couple of crushed garlic cloves, juice of 1/2 a lemon, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place your chicken, meat or fish in a large tray and cover all over with the marinade ensuring it gets into all the nooks and crannies. You can score the meat or fish with a sharp knife to ensure the marinade penetrates deeper.
- Cover and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes and up to 24 hours (or even 48 hours) for best results.
- Now you're ready to experience the magic of fresh spices! Remove from the fridge and bring to room temperature. Then simply grill, roast or fry.
- You can use the same technique to flavour roasted vegetables except you probably don't need to marinate them for longer than 30 minutes!
Dial In Your Dry Rub Technique
Here's a few quick tips to up your grilling game - all you need is a quality spice blend!
- First ensure your meat/poultry/fish has been taken out of the fridge about 30-40mins earlier and is now at room temperature.
- Pad down your meat/fish to remove any excess moisture. This will allow the meat/fish to absorb the maximum amount of flavour and really bond with the spices to create the ultimate delicious crust when grilled.
- Place on a tray or plate and use your hands to generously rub the spices in and cover all over on all sides. Score with a sharp knife so the flavours can penetrate even deeper. Sprinkle quality sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and rub in.
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours (or even 48 hours) for best results.
- Now you're ready to grill, fry or roast.
Flavour Like a Celebrity Chef
Seasoning your favourite soups, stews, rice dishes, grains or smoothies just like Nigella or Jamie has never been easier. It's literally just a matter of tossing in a couple of teaspoons of your favourite spice blend during cooking and you're done!
The secret to achieving deep, complex flavours in soups, stews and rice dishes is to add spices early so they can slowly develop and release their precious oils when they come into contact with heat. Don't just leave your spices to the end as adding them when the dish is ready to be served will have very minimal impact on flavour.
One of our top tips is to add a couple of teaspoons of spice blend when frying your onions and garlic at the start of cooking so they can impart gorgeous flavours as you're browning your meat or vegetables. Trust us, this works wonders. Then taste your dish as it's cooking and adjust the flavour to taste.
Finally, taste your soup/stew at the end of cooking and adjust again with sea salt and black pepper if required.
Finish Your Dishes In Style
One of the easiest ways to add oomph to your food (and the secret to many chefs' cooking) is sprinkling finishing spices or salts over a dish before serving. Sumac, Aleppo pepper or Urfa Chilli flakes add complexity and new flavour dimensions to cooked eggs, salads, humous plates, roasted veg, dips, grilled meats, fish and everything in between. Once you've tried these, you'll never look back (and probably take your Sprinkle jars with you even when you go to a cafe). They're that addictive.