SWEET. FLORAL. ALMOND, MARZIPAN & VANILLA NOTES.
A MAJESTIC BAKING SPICE FOR PASTRIES, CAKES, COOKIES, OATS & SMOOTHIES.
Get ready to fall in love with this insanely delicious sweet blend. Mahlab (or "Mahlepi" as it's called in Greece) is a creamy white powder made from the ground seeds found inside the pits of the St Lucie Cherry, a wild black cherry that grows across the Mediterranean.
Mahlab tastes somewhere between almonds, marzipan, cherry and rose. It is commonly used as a baking spice in cakes, pastries, breads and cookies in Turkey, the Levant and Iraq and the Greeks add it to a festive sweet bread baked for Easter called Tsoureki.
Our Mahlepi blend is a little adventurous - we've mixed Mahlab with a few other exotic spices (cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and ginger) to create the sort of spice blend that will impart a huge wow factor to otherwise ho-hum desserts. It'll elevate humble rice puddings, creme brûlée or cheese tarts and you can use it instead of vanilla for a more unusual flavour.
This blend is a perfect natural sweetener and, as with nutmeg or cardamom, you don't need much to make an impact - 1 teaspoon per 1 cup of flour or oats will add layers of interesting flavour and sweetness without overwhelming.
Sweet, floral and aromatic with almond, marzipan and cherry undertones and a distinct aroma that evokes rose, cinnamon and clove.
- Add to Easter hot cross buns, Christmas baking or Greek sweet bread.
- Pair with milk or cheese based desserts - rice puddings, creme brûlée, cheese tarts or cookies. Also great in desserts scented with rose water or spiked with honey.
- Add to bread and butter puddings, spiced apple or pear tarts instead of cinnamon or vanilla for a more alluring effect.
- Throw in a teaspoon per 1 cup of oats or add to your favourite smoothie (especially great with coconut milk or almond milk bases).
- Use in exotic stews and slow cooked lamb dishes, like Moroccan tagines.
Mahlab powder, Aniseed*, Cloves*, Cinnamon*, Ginger*, Cardamom Seeds*.
Middle East, Mediterranean
|Made in Australia from local & imported ingredients|
|Made with Certified Organic ingredients & Salt Free|
|Vegan, vegetarian & paleo friendly|
|No artificial colours, flavours, additives or preservatives|
$4.95 flat rate express shipping over $50. Free Shipping over $100.