Serves: 4 - 6 | Cooking time: 50 mins | Difficulty: Easy
Nothing beats a rustic vegetable soup on a cool autumn day. You can substitute any of the vegetables in this soup with whatever root veg you may have in your fridge. This vegetable-loaded soup is packed with goodness and bursts with flavour thanks to our BERBERE spice blend which lends Ethiopian flavours. The result is deep, earthy and mild spicy aromas that everyone in the family will love.
- Berbere spice blend, 3-4 tablespoons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -2 large leeks
- 3 carrots
- 3 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 sweet potato
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 celeriac
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 x400g tin of chickpeas
- 100g freekeh (green cracked wheat)
- Small bunch of baby spinach
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- Small bunch of coriander, fennel & parsley, finely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Roughly chop all the vegetables. In a large saucepan, drizzle 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and heat on medium heat. Add the leeks, carrots and celery, garlic and Berbere spice blend and stir. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 mins until the vegetables soften and stir frequently.
- Add the chickpeas and rest of the vegetables to the pan and pour the stock in. Add the freekeh (if using) and bring to the boil. Then simmer, covered, for 30-40 mins.
- Add the spinach to the pan, stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes until it's cooked but still has a vibrant green colour. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a garnish of the chopped herbs on top of each bowl and some toasted rustic bread on the side.