Serves: 10 | Cooking time: 40 mins | Difficulty: Super Easy
These sweet, spicy carrots and sunny turmeric tahini make a lovely addition to your festive spread. So outrageously delicious next to roast lamb or beef, grilled chicken or any kind of fish, you'll forget about the main! Our Moroccan-inspired spice blend, Fez, lends distinct North African flavours to these humble baby carrots. Packed with flavour, impressive & too easy!
- Sprinkle's Fez spice blend
- 1.5Kg baby (Dutch) carrots
- 1 orange or 2 clementines, juiced
- 2 tbsp smoked honey (or normal runny honey)
- 20g fresh thyme, leaves picked
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini paste
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Pistachio kernels (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200c.
- Peel the carrots. You can leave them whole with tops on or halve them (as we did in the photo). They'll turn out great either way so you can cook them in your favourite style.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the orange (or clementine) juice, honey, thyme and a generous glug of olive oil. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Mix well to form a runny paste. Toss the carrots in the marinade and cover all over (best to use your hands to mix it all well).
- Place carrots in a roasting tray, cover with foil and roast for 30-40 mins until they are just tender. Remove the foil and cook for another 10 mins or so until the carrots are fully cooked through and caramelised.
- Make the turmeric tahini sauce while the carrots are roasting. In a mixing bowl, mix together the tahini, turmeric and lemon juice. Add water if the paste is too thick. Do so gradually (1 tablespoon at a time) so it doesn't become too runny. It should have a consistency similar to honey. Taste and season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve the carrots warm with a drizzle of the turmeric tahini and a scattering of the pistachio kernels. The remainder of the tahini can be placed in a small bowl on the side, for extras!