Serves: 4 | Cooking time: 30 mins | Difficulty: Easy
Crunchy, flavour packed schnitzel is always a good idea. Especially when you spice up the (gluten free) crumbs with BLACK SMOKE, our smoky blend inspired by the Deep South. It'll lend lovely flavours of paprika, smoked salt, ancho chilli, cloves and garlic flakes - so much more flavourful than plain old bland schnitzel! And no need to add milk, flour or garlic powder. This is gluten free, dairy free and nut free. Easy, delicious and nutritious, this will be a family favourite and a must on your weekly dinner rotation. Especially delicious served with a simple fresh salad and some tahini on the side.
- BLACK SMOKE spice blend, 4 teaspoons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets (ask your butcher to cut them into 2-3 pieces each so they're thinner)
- 2 cups (gluten free) bread crumbs
- 1 lemon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl place the beaten eggs and season with some sea salt and black pepper. Place the breadcrumbs in another mixing bowl and add the BLACK SMOKE. Mix well so the spices are blended with the breadcrumbs.
- Use a fork to dip each chicken breast in the eggs first, tap on the side of the bowl then dip straight into the breadcrumbs to cover the chicken breasts evenly and on both sides. Repeat this for each chicken breast.
- In a large pan (or frying pan), heat some olive oil (around 3cm). When hot, shallow fry the chicken breasts in a couple of batches on both sides until browned on the outside and cooked through inside. It really depends on the hob and the chicken's thickness, but usually 5-7 mins on each side would ensure it is cooked properly and forms a crispy crust.
- Serve immediately with a lemon wedge to squeeze and a fresh salad on the side.