Serves: 6-8 | Cooking time: 1hr | Difficulty: easy
This festive roast beef is packed with flavour thanks to great seasoning with our BLACK SMOKE spice blend and the lovely fruity, sticky sweet juices of grapes and pomegranates that turn into a gorgeous sauce during cooking. It's an easy one pan dish that's simple to pull together and will make a fabulous main for any special meal over the holidays or a cosy dinner party. Serve with simple roasted baby potatoes and a sharp green salad on the side. And don't forget a great bottle of red!
Any leftovers can be sliced into slivers and quickly fried with lots of sliced red onion, 2-3 spoons of white wine and a teaspoon of mustard. Then serve with mash potatoes, rice or roll into warm wraps with some green salad leaves, tomatoes and a bit of mayo. Yummy!
- BLACK SMOKE spice blend - 4 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 4 tbsp
- 1-1.5 Kg beef roast
- 4 clsuters of purple/red grapes
- 2 fresh pomegranates, sliced in half lenghthwise
- 4 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine BLACK SMOKE with the olive oil to create a marinade. Score the beef with a knife, sprinkle generously with sea salt and cover all over with the marinade. Set aside to marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least 1-2 hours. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
- Pre heat the oven to 220c (or 200 if fan assisted). In a roasting pan, place the beef in the centre surrounded by the grapes and pomegranates. Grind some black pepper and sprinkle the thyme on top. Roast for 50-60 mins for medium or a bit more to your preference. Every oven is different so check at the 40 minute mark to ensure you don't over cook.
- Remove from the oven when cooked through. Let the beef rest for 10-15 mins before carving. Serve with the juices from the bottom of the pan next to roasted potatoes or root vegetables, rice or mash potatoes.