Serves: 4 | Cooking time: 30 mins | Difficulty: Easy
Nothing beats chicken tacos for feeding a crowd! Many people don't know that Mexican tacos actually evolved from Middle Eastern shawarma, thanks to Lebanese immigrants who relocated to Mexico in the 60s. Our Baharat spice blend, also known as Lebanese-7-spice, is just perfect for grilled chicken. It's warm, savoury and aromatic without being hot. And will lend these tacos a delicious authentic flavour.
- Baharat spice blend, 2 tsp
- Olive oil
- 450g chicken breast (skinless)
For the salsa
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum. finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 20g fresh parsley or coriander, coarsely chopped
- Olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped (optional)
- Sea salt + Black pepper
- Middle Eastern flat breads (or tortillas)
- Tahini sauce
- In a mixing bowl, mix the Baharat with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with sea salt and plenty of black pepper. Mix to form a paste and marinade the chicken for 30 mins (although, if in a hurry, 15 mins will do).
- Pre-heat the oven grill (or bbq) on high heat and grill the chicken breasts for around 10 mins on each side or until lightly charred on the outside and cooked through. Remove from grill and place on a chopping board. Slice width-ways into approximately 1cm pieces
- While the chicken is cooking make the salsa by mixing the lime juice, parsley (or coriander), tomatoes, capsicum, onion and red chilli (if using) plus around 2 tbsp olive oil. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon some salsa on the flat breads, place a few chicken slices on top and add a generous drizzle of tahini sauce and a lime wedge.