Serves: 8 | Cooking time: 60 mins| Difficulty: Easy
FYI, we've found your go-to vegetarian winter soup. This earthy soup is inspired by Ottolenghi's Iranian legume soup recipe but with a little twist. It's warming, filling and loaded with flavour so it'll satisfy even sworn carnivores. Packed with nutrients and anti-oxidants thanks to plenty of spinach, garlic, green beans, butterbeans and chickpeas. Add a dollop of sour cream if you'd like to take it up yet another notch but it's also wonderful simply with noodles, if you prefer dairy-free. A squeeze of lemon or lime is a must though, to add a subtle tanginess that balances the spicy notes. Our Black Smoke spice blend lends this soup mellow heat and smoky flavours.
- Black Smoke spice blend - 2 tablespoons
- 125g canned organic chickpeas (drained)
- 125g canned organic butterbeans (drained)
- 80g clarified butter (or olive oil)
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 225g green beans
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 20g parsley, finely chopped
- 20g coriander, finely chopped
- 20g dill, finely chopped
- 100g trimmed spring onions, thinly sliced
- 100g baby spinach
- 100g linguine
- 150g sour cream + 1 teaspoon per portion
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 limes (or lemons) cut in half
- Sea salt & black pepper
- In a large pan sauté the onions, garlic and butter (or olive oil) for around 10-15 mins on medium heat until golden brown. Add Black Smoke spice blend, mix and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the chickpeas, butterbeans, green beans and vegetable stock to the pan. Mix well and simmer for 30 mins or so.
- Add the spring onion, herbs and spinach and simmer for another 15 mins. If the soup is becoming too thick, add some more water or stock. Add the noodles and cook for 10 mins until they are ready. Stir in the vinegar and sour cream just before serving. Serve with the lime or lemon for squeezing and a teaspoon of sour cream.