Serves: 4 as a side / 2 as a main | Cooking time: 30 mins | Difficulty: Easy
This is a classic Middle Eastern tabbouleh salad with a twist! The mild, nutty flavour of bulgur wheat is enhanced by our Galilee Za'atar blend which lends the dressing quintessential Levantine flavours.
Packed with pomegranate seeds, fresh herbs and avocado, this colourful, fragrant salad not only looks great but is filling, healthy (and veggie!). Perfect on its own - as a main - or as a side to accompany barbecued or roasted meat (or fish). It delivers complex flavours, and will impress your guests, but is so easy to make.
To best enjoy all those herbal, lemony, fruity flavours, rustle it up quickly just before your meal and serve immediately with a scattering of freshly chopped herbs on top.
- Galilee Za'atar blend
- 200g bulgur wheat (medium grain)
- 2-3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- Olive oil (extra virgin)
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 pomegranate (or a small pack of pomegranate seeds)
- 1/2 pack (60g) mixed salad leaves
- A small bunch of mint or parsley, or both (around 10g), leaves picked and chopped
- Fresh thyme (3-4 sprigs), leaves picked and finely chopped
- Pomegranate molases, 1 tablespoon
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced into bite sized cubes
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bulgur wheat in accordance with the pack's instructions. Usually, this means putting the wheat in a saucepan with water (at a ratio of 2 cups water to 1 cup bulgur), bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for around 15 mins or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and move to a large salad or mixing bowl to let cool for around 10-15 mins.
- Add around 60ml olive oil and the lemon juice to the bulgur when cool. Mix well. Add the spring onions and mix. Generously season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- To make the salad marinade, mix 4 tablespoons of olive oil, the pomegranate molasses, thyme leaves, the pomegranate seeds and juice and 2 teaspoons of Galilee Za'atar. Add sea salt to taste and mix it all in a small bowl.
- Mix the salad leaves and avocado with the bulgur wheat. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve with a garnish of the freshly chopped herbs (mint or parsley, or both).