Easy spicy chicken skewers
Makes: 12 skewers | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
These chicken skewers pack a punch and are the perfect dinner for the whole family. Great on the BBQ but also fantastic under the grill so you can easily make them any season, whatever the weather! Make these your own and add slices of red capsicum or grilled corn on the side. The options are endless.
Our Black Smoke blend adds the smoky, sweet, mellow spicy flavours of a genuine southern BBQ, with minimal effort. Zingy avocado lime salsa is an awesome addition to balance the chicken's spicy notes.
- Black Smoke spice blend, 2-3 teaspoons
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 large chicken breasts, sliced into bite sized chunks
- Olive oil (extra virgin if possible)
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced into bite sized cubes
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, sliced into small cubes
- Small bunch (20g) coriander, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Prepare 12 wooden skewers by soaking them in cold water in a large roasting tray, to avoid burning when under the grill.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the Black Smoke (2-3 heaped teaspoons), the crushed garlic and some olive oil to make a paste for the chicken marinade. Season with salt and pepper to taste if required. Place the chicken in the bowl, mix well so it's all covered in the marinade. Set aside to absorb the flavours for at least 30 minutes, ideally for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the grill on high. Dry the skewers and thread the chicken pieces. Don't place them too close or they won't cook properly. (If you're adding capsicum thread that in between the chicken pieces). Place the chicken on a roasting tray and slide under the grill. Cook for 10-15 minutes, turning regularly, until the chicken is nicely blackened on the outside and cooked though inside.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the avocado, coriander, lime juice, tomatoes and chilli (if using). Drizzle some olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is ready, transfer to a large platter with the avocado salsa on the side. Serve with some fresh fluffy couscous, rice or warm flat breads.